Saturday 1 November 2014

Cavani: Ibrahimovic should win Ballon d'Or
The Paris Saint-Germain star has praised his team-mate, arguing that he deserves the prestigious award, and says they have a good relationship

Paris Saint-Germain forward Edinson Cavani has rubbished suggestions there is friction between himself and Zlatan Ibrahimovic and backed the Sweden star to land the 2014 Ballon d’Or.
There has been speculation the pair have a distant relationship at the Parc des Princes with Cavani frustrated he has to play in a wide position to accommodate Ibrahimovic in the centre-forward role.
But the Uruguay international Cavani insists they “get along well” and is baffled as to why the subject is raised so regularly.
He told Le Parisien: “We're compatible. He can draw defenders towards him and create space. He makes his team-mates better. It's kind of the same thing with Luis Suarez in the national team. But the tactics are different.
"We have a normal relationship [that exists] between colleagues. We play for the same team and we get along well.
"But I don't understand why there are so many questions about my relationship with Zlatan. I have the same relationship with all my team-mates. For me, all my team-mates are the same.
"We give our best for the team. Once again, I don't understand why this question on Ibra is asked so often. There isn't any problem."

Cavani has backed former Barcelona and AC Milan star Ibrahimovic’s claims to land the Ballon d’Or in Zurich on January 12.
"There are a lot of serious rivals but he deserves to get this prize," Cavani said.
"He's proved that he is an amazing player and these last few years he has accomplished fantastic things.”
Cavani, 27, has long been linked with a move to the Premier League but says he is currently focusing on life in the French capital.
He said: "I don't think I said anything that would lead [people] to think that, and neither did the [PSG] president [Nasser] Al-Khelaifi.
"All of these things are just rumours that happen in football, as they did when I joined Napoli and PSG. Every time, a lot of things are said.
"I don't know what will happen. Nobody does. But I have a contract and the most important thing is that I'm here today and that we win titles."
Cavani also discussed the possibility of his club winning the Champions League this season.
"I think we can, and we could have last season," he continued. "We just missed a bit of luck, even though I don't like this word.
"But this year, we're more experienced, we're better prepared and these are two necessary conditions to win the Champions League."

No comments: